Effective Surface Preparation
When decorating surfaces, effective pre-treatment will significantly extend the longevity and protection of the painted system. This is particularly important when redecorating previously painted surfaces.
The following products are optimised for use with KEIM Mineral Paint systems and designed for every potential surface issue.
STANDARD PRE-TREATMENT RECOMMENDATIONS
- All loose, flaking and unstable material must be identified and thoroughly removed using stiff brushes and broad-bladed scrapers to get back to a sound edge; edges should then be feathered in. Ensure that any paint materials left remaining and the underlying substrate is sound and adhering well.
- Caution should be taken with the removal of any per 1960’s coatings as they may contain lead.
- If the surfaces are being chemically stripped ensure that they are thoroughly washed down of all residue prior to decoration. Due to the potential for an osmotic drawing reaction we do not recommend the use of poultice based strippers if the surfaces are to be redecorated.
- Any gloss or shiny surfaces should be thoroughly flatted down using sand or emery paper to create a good key. Any powdery or chalking surfaces will require treatment prior to decoration.
- Any mould and fungal growth must be thoroughly removed using wire brushes to remove all growths and then treated with KEIM Algicid.
- Surfaces should be repaired/re-rendered using appropriate materials and dressed back to the surrounding substrate.
- Any newly repaired areas must be allowed to dry out for a minimum period of 15 days (28 days for NHL (Natural Hydraulic Lime) prior to the application of KEIM Mineral Paints.
- KEIM Mineral Paints should be applied onto wind dry surfaces where the moisture content on or near the surface (to a depth of 5mm approximately) should be no greater than 18% by volume.
- Use only KEIM recommended fillers and sealers. Acrylic, resin and gypsum based fillers particularly are not recommended for use with mineral paints
- All surfaces must be thoroughly washed down with clean cold water to remove all surface dirt and dust.
- When all surfaces are clean, sound, wind dry, dust free and free from all surface contaminants, decoration using KEIM Mineral Paints may proceed.
Brush, flood coat
Site trials always necessary
5 lt containers